inspection

Post All Keel Topics Here
Rikthesailor

inspection

Post by Rikthesailor »

So I just bought this new to me chrysler 22. Stern to bow the boat seems in very good condition. Now that i have been reading some on the boat..forums mostly....I wonder a little on the swing keel. Its a pretty heavy object hanging from a little bit of fiberglass. I don't see anything that gives me concern. But with no experience is there any tell tale signs i need to look for if trouble should be on its way. Im a little paranoid about the swing keel. :-)
Any advice and concerns are appreciated.
Hammer1991

Re: inspection

Post by Hammer1991 »

No one ever answered you, did you ever come up with a way to test it to confirm it wasn't compromised in some way? Would be curious to hear what you did.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: inspection

Post by C22Bob »

The swing keel in the C22 is appx 900 lbs. of cast iron and stainless steel. The SS part is an internal plate where the cable attaches. This is a great question and many of us have had the same curiosity. Suffice to say, that Chrysler (and the design engineer for that boat) did a great job in making sure that hull section where the keel brackets are is very heavy duty. The fiberglass is almost an inch thick there. If you're worried, check around the brackets for signs of cracking. Also, the keel is NOT supposed to hang completely from the bracket on the C22, as in completely vertical. Make sure you sail with it at 60 degrees. That is the engineering design spec. That way the winch is holding a significant amount as well.