Well, the keel is off!

Post All Keel Topics Here
Richo

Well, the keel is off!

Post by Richo »

Hello to all,
I got the keel off this week. I’ll try to post some pictures soon if anybody has any questions about my process or would like to see them. The bolts come out with no problem, but the galvanized piping is STUCK. 40 years of rust! Any tricks for getting these off?
Tried to post a picture but it says the file is to big.

Rich
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Well, the keel is off!

Post by C22Bob »

Richo wrote:Hello to all,
I got the keel off this week. I’ll try to post some pictures soon if anybody has any questions about my process or would like to see them. The bolts come out with no problem, but the galvanized piping is STUCK. 40 years of rust! Any tricks for getting these off?
Tried to post a picture but it says the file is to big.

Rich
Congrats! Not an easy task to say the least. As for the bracket, throw it away and plan on making a new one. In our 'Documents' section you will find drawings for making a bracket per the original dimensions. Search the forum for keel brackets. Most people go with stock dimensions, but you'll find some variations in some cases. For instance, I made my own from Stainless Steel and used a 3/4" shaft bore. Original was 5/8" . Also, the sides were 1/4" plate originally and I used 3/8". I haven't seen anyone with new brackets for sale in a long time.

About posting images:

To keep our server storage cost low, we enforce a 256KB limit for image attachments. Most cameras these days have a default setting of 1MB, so if trying to take something directly off your camera and post here, you're likely going to hit that limit. There are a ton of free photo editors online which are very easy to use. An easy to use website for basic resizing is http://www.simpleimageresizer.com.

I uploaded a 1MB file, chose the 'make image 50% smaller' and got back the file as 258KB.
Full Disclaimer -- Chryslersailors.com is not associated with that web site, and advise you carefully read their privacy policy before uploading files to it. Some of these sites make money obviously through advertisements, but also take ownership of your image for possible sale to stock photo houses.

Also, keep in mind you don't have to attach the file. If the image is already on a website, get the image address and paste into your message using the BBCode [img] image tag ---here's some info on that under our FAQ

http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... b8101#f3r3

Bob
Richo

Post by Richo »

Hey guys

http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uplo ... 04_50.jpeg
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uplo ... F8_50.jpeg
Hope this works. Trying to post some pictures of the keel pin brackets. I’m trying to get the cap off the galvanized pipe in the pics, but it’s just not breaking free. I’ve used pb blaster, liquid wrench, standing and bouncing on a pipe wrench with all 230 pounds of my big a$$. Lol! It just won’t move. Is there a tread I’m missing in regards to this problem or was anyone came out the other side of this issue. If so please share.

Thanks

Rich
Richo

Post by Richo »

Oh and Bob thanks for the help with the pictures!

Rich
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Rich,

I assumed when you said the keel was off you already had most of it disassembled. How did you get the pin out ---cut it from below with reciprocating saw? Whatever the method, with the keel out go ahead and remove the bracket from each side. Attached with 6 1/4" bolts each side. Once removed and in a vice you can deal with it much better. Lastly, I've never heard of anyone who re-used the brackets on these boats after removing. Most are in very bad shape. Maybe you will be lucky. If you are able to re-use, removing it, cleaning, and re-sealing with 3M 5200 is still required business at this point.

You might find this link useful too
Captain Scott Sailing Keel Pin Restoration

Good luck!

Bob