Keel pin bracket design

Post All Keel Topics Here
Mike22

Keel pin bracket design

Post by Mike22 »

I have a C 22 and am about to replace my keel pin brackets. I see two versions in drawings and pictures. One shows the inside edge of the the 3/8 inch plate flush with only the pin itself extending where the keel rides. The other design shows the 1 1/4 inch round rod that holds the pin extending through the 3/8 plate into the wet keel trunk area about an inch or less. It seems like this extension will act like a shoulder to prevent keel lateral movement. I'll try to attach some images to clarify. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to which design is best.

Thank you.
Attachments
KPBshld.jpg
KPBshld.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 22529 times
KPBnoShld.jpg
KPBnoShld.jpg (15.11 KiB) Viewed 22529 times
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keel pin bracket design

Post by C22Bob »

Mike,

The first image is my keel bracket. To answer about the 'shoulder' comment, yes , you're exactly right. I did that so as to limit the lateral movement. Otherwise, you have to put spacers in there to stop the travel. I've seen where people use large plastic washers, etc. for that.
One big concern if you do that which I found out the hard way --- you will need lots of room under the boat to angle the keel at about 30 degrees when raising into position --reason being the thickness of the keel is more at the top than at the bore hole. Without that angled approach you'll never clear the opening because of those shoulders. I like my design, but honestly wouldn't recommend that approach to anyone. Probably better off just putting spacers in once in position -- although that can be tricky too as there's not a lot of room to work once in position. With my design, I left room for a 1/8" SS washer each side, but during the installation had to settle for only one. 900 pounds of cast iron steel is not exactly easy to work with :)

As for the plate thickness, I still used 3/8" SS which is recommended because of where you'll be mounting. The original steel rod was a 5/8" design. I enlarged that to 3/4" on mine. Note on that, also requires the keel hole be bored out to match (lot of extra work)
Mike22

Post by Mike22 »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Your experience is a wealth of knowledge. It is appreciated. I still have lots of planning to do. It's a big project but these boats are a pleasure. Thinking about using nylon washers to take up the gap. I'll post any progress when the work begins.

Mike
avidsailor

Post by avidsailor »

Are these pins still available?