Swing Keel Repair

Post by Moonshine Jim »

1975 C-22 Callisto
Toms River, NJ
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I spent 400 bucks for my swing keel bracket and pin. It was a one off custom made set. Unlless you have a buddy that can make one for you, I feel you'd be hard pressed to beat the price. If you have to pay to have it installed then the cost will bite you. I have no idea what it would cost in labor to do what I did on my C22. The good thing is nothing I did was rocket science. It was very straight forward if care and due diligence was used. Only other BIG cost was the boat stands. I bought them from craigslist and can easily sell them if I need to.

You have a link to my pictures and directions below. If you click an icon it blows up to a large photo and gives more description. You also can get my cell phone number and I'm very happy to chat live and answer ANY questions you might still have.

Lastly I just recently signed up for skype so if cost is a concern, you can talk to me for free using skype. Just PM or email me offline and we can discuss a good time to chat.

Hopefully you will not have to part out your boat however if you do, I'm sure there are folks here with needs.

Scott
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Time to dig in. I paid $300.00 for the set I bought and that included the pin. On top of that you will need some sealant. I would not expect you to find any structural problems in the keel area unless alot of water has been laying in the boat. You should be able to determine that by poking around the surrounding area with a small pick in order to feel for any rot. Feel free to look at my photo bucket pics for ideals on how to do the job. Like Scott said, it's pretty strait foward. We will be glad to talk you thru it. You may call me anytime @ 423-341-8056 with questions if you like. http://s743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80 ... ?start=all
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Moonshine Jim

Post by Moonshine Jim »

Wow great advise guys! Thanks for the input. I probably will reach out to you guys directly as I move forward with this keel pin replacement. Looks like I'll start this project in Mid-March. Right now my 22 is in a boat yard on blocks with a couple feet of snow around it.
1975 C-22 Callisto
Toms River, NJ
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

I dont see any thing like the C22 has on my C26 swing keel could some one show me what i am looking at for where it is etc.
There is no right way to do the wrong thing.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
This photo is how I found her
back2class

Post by back2class »

I have never done this job, but becoming handy is learning through trial and error. This one seems like a big job, but nothing about it is complicated.
May I suggest you jack it up on the trailer. Insted of stands or cradles...or worse...cinder blocks, just take the axle off the trailer if there are no crossmembers of the trailer blocking your keel. If it is a single axle trailer than it will be only 4 bolts to do that. Unless it is nearly a new trailer, you should take the leaf spring bolts off to inspect and replace anyhow. Jacking up the trailer from the center of the front and rear will allow you to slip cinder blocks (use solid) under each corner. Stack them two x two on each corner alternating the direction they are stacked so you have very sold piers. Shouldn't take more than an hour to have it up on blocks and the axle off. Make sure you are on solid and FLAT ground when you put the boat on stands of any kind.
c-22
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

John
If this is old news or not relevant... disregard. The swing keel pin location on the C26 is a bit different from the C22. You can't get to the C26 swing keel pin from inside. it is an external pin supported by a footing in two sections. I think those of us with C26 sailboats are waiting to see who will be the first to truly completly drop the keel by removing the two footing sections exposing the pin. Sorry for the old photo.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

So up to this point the keel pin on the C26 has not been an issue. Or is it that it is out of sight out of mind?
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

A little bit yes and a little bit no... I have never heard of a C26 swing keel pin or footings failing on their own, without the help of some external force. Hitting a rock at speed or some other calamity, but then again we are talking about a 30+ year old sailboat. Getting in there to check things out would go far to give one peace of mind.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
sailbob2

Post by sailbob2 »

I'll tell this story I got from my sailmaker who said he worked for Chrysler building 26' hulls . He told me that they took an unfinished hull out to the parking lot and rolled it over and over letting the keel flop in and out. While he doesn't recommend this method for testing your keel pin he stated that no damage to the pin or mounts occured. Don't know that the story is true or not take it for what it's worth. But he's a great guy and no reason to tell tall tales to me.
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

the keel pin area on my boat looks really bad. lots of rust I may explore the keal pin next year when i have her off the trailer for a paint job.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
d_sinsley

Brackets and Pin

Post by d_sinsley »

Who's can you get them from. Awhile ago a member here trey had them fo sale but I was stupid and never bought them, is he still around?