C26 lifting frames and keel drop pics (added more pics)

Post All Keel Topics Here
monty
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Onanole, Manitoba, Canada

C26 lifting frames and keel drop pics (added more pics)

Postby monty » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/j6DzavYjubHui1oQ9

took some pics of the frames I built to lift my 26 along with pics of dropping the keel to facilitate repair of the keel trunk after a hard grounding (in my driveway- don't ask!)
Last edited by monty on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490

User avatar
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2962
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

Postby EmergencyExit » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:32 pm

Can't access the page Monty; you may need to set something to public..

monty
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Onanole, Manitoba, Canada

Postby monty » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:36 pm

changed the link to a public one, we'll see how that works.
Clicking on the 'i' in the top right of each photo gets you some info
Messing About

78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490

Reality
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 pm
Location: Ellison Bay, WI

Postby Reality » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:58 pm

ambitious undertaking. For your safety I'd like to see the braces from the horizontal beams to the vertical have closer to a 45 degree angle. The current angle seems a little too upright to prevent side movement that could lead to a dangerous collapse. I'm going by timber frame house structures I've seen. Maybe have a house builder take a look. good luck and be safe.

monty
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Onanole, Manitoba, Canada

Postby monty » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:13 pm

yeah, 45degrees would have been nice, I had my doubts about the way I did it but I wanted to keep the whole beam between the posts clear for hoisting and to go to 45 degrees on the outside would have required longer beams.

Before loading the rig, the fore and aft was rock solid, but sideways had about 2" of movement with an immediate return to center. In order for it to go further would require both of the braces to fail.

After hoisting the boat off the trailer the rig is rock solid with no movement seen while pushing the boat off center.

I'm going to place a 6' 6x6 on blocks under the boat as a safety.
Messing About

78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490

Reality
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 pm
Location: Ellison Bay, WI

Postby Reality » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:03 am

sounds good. I'd long 2x4s at angle from ends of beams to something solid on ground to add stability to the top.

User avatar
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2962
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

Postby EmergencyExit » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:15 am

Cool pics - did you have any issues getting the bolts out of the keel shoe ?

I always wonder about the nuts to receive the bolts, and where they are - guess they dropped something like a plate in place before they did the ballast pour or something..

User avatar
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3117
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Postby CaptainScott » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:33 am

Those are nice pics!
Good job and enjoy the work!!


Scott

monty
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Onanole, Manitoba, Canada

Postby monty » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:16 am

EmergencyExit wrote:Cool pics - did you have any issues getting the bolts out of the keel shoe ?

I always wonder about the nuts to receive the bolts, and where they are - guess they dropped something like a plate in place before they did the ballast pour or something..



First bolt I tried wouldn't move, in fact I ended up breaking it and had to drill it out. After that I thought I'd be in for a long drawn out battle, but the other 5 came out with no resistance using a 3/8" drive ratchet.

Getting the pin out of the shoes took a few hours. I first cut it to get the shoes off the keel, then used heat and large pipe wrenches to wrestle the pieces out of the shoes.

I can see the nuts up in the holes (over 1" in) and suspect they are attached to a plate because they are solid. The bolts are stainless but aren't particularly strong.
Messing About

78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490

MaverickSailing
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 am
Location: Vero Beach,FL
Contact:

Postby MaverickSailing » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Nice job, I love the colors, almost exactly the same as what I'm planning for Maverick
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26

User avatar
astrorad
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: s.e Wisconsin

Postby astrorad » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Wow !!! Looks like a harder task than when I did my keel on the 22. Thanks for posting.
Bill

Erbardy
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 am

Re:

Postby Erbardy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:00 am

monty wrote:
EmergencyExit wrote:Cool pics - did you have any issues getting the bolts out of the keel shoe ?

I always wonder about the nuts to receive the bolts, and where they are - guess they dropped something like a plate in place before they did the ballast pour or something..



First bolt I tried wouldn't move, in fact I ended up breaking it and had to drill it out. After that I thought I'd be in for a long drawn out battle, but the other 5 came out with no resistance using a 3/8" drive ratchet.

Getting the pin out of the shoes took a few hours. I first cut it to get the shoes off the keel, then used heat and large pipe wrenches to wrestle the pieces out of the shoes.

I can see the nuts up in the holes (over 1" in) and suspect they are attached to a plate because they are solid. The bolts are stainless but aren't particularly strong.



Thanks! I downloaded your pics and am using them as a guide. I am going to take MerSea (78 Chrysler 26) our of the water in early September and out it on jacks in Erie PA in order to do the same thing. How high off the ground is the bottom of the keel trunk?

Holiday
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:14 am

Re: C26 lifting frames and keel drop pics (added more pics)

Postby Holiday » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:58 am

I raised my 26 keel trunk 30 inches off the gound. That was plenty of clearance.
When the keel pin shoes were removed that allowed another 3 or 4 inches of clearance for the tall part of the keel.

Erbardy
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 am

Re: C26 lifting frames and keel drop pics (added more pics)

Postby Erbardy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 am

Holiday wrote:I raised my 26 keel trunk 30 inches off the gound. That was plenty of clearance.
When the keel pin shoes were removed that allowed another 3 or 4 inches of clearance for the tall part of the keel.


Hi,
I set the date to get MerSea on Jack-stands (aug 16) to have the bottom stripped, re-barrier coated and painted. I am also going to drop the keel down to replace the swing keel cable and attempt to replace the pivot pin like you did. Do you mind exchanging contact information over DM? I would like to have a phone conversation with you about how you did it all. I see the pics and they are EXTREMELY helpful. I just have a few questions that would be best fit for a phone conversation.


Return to “Keel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests