Vertical play in the rudder post?

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Vertical play in the rudder post?

Post by Gary w/C26 & LS13 »

My C26 has about 2” of up/down vertical play in the rudder post shaft. The boat is on the trailer and the weight of the rudder assembly has the excess play exposed where the rudder shaft exits the hull. The lower synthetic rudder bearing can be slid up and down 2” on the post until it seats in the bearing pocket in the hull. I assume that if the boat was in the water, the rudder would have enough floatation that the shaft would rise 2” and the lower bearing would be seated in the hull pocket. Should I eliminate this play by dropping the rudder bracket 2” to a lower position on the shaft? Or is this play normal?
brigadoon

Re: Vertical play in the rudder post?

Post by brigadoon »

The rudder play is not Normal. There should be a 2” spacer between the mushroom bearing and the rudder. You can replace the spacer with pvc pipe if it is missing. If the spacer is there shift the collar under the tiller head down to take up the slop. The original design has mushroom bearings at the top and bottom. Both bearings should be tight against the hull . The mushroom bearings provide support for the rudder stock that can be replaced when worn without major structural work on the hull, I believe they are still available. A number of members have chosen to modify there vessels in this area and I have not read of any problems with the modifications. There are pictures and comments in various locations in the archives.
Rick SV Brigadoon c26
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Upon closer examination I can see I need to replace the bearings. I’ve got the tiller bracket soaking with penetrating oil so I can drop the rudder. It appears to be seized to the shaft.
Gary w/C26 & LS13

Update - it’s was difficult but I managed to finally get the collar off. It took shearing off two of the set screws (Phillip’s head 1/4-20 bolts), applying heat with a torch and using a wheel puller and a hammer. You are correct. The collar was too high on the shaft. I’m going to have to drill and tap new holes in the collar and I’ll use SS hex head bolts for the set screws.
brigadoon

Post by brigadoon »

Gary
When you put the collar back on be sure to put anti seize compound on the threads . The compound will help prevent corrosion and dissimilar metal action. Good luck with the rudder
Rick, SV Brigadoon