Removing C26 Rudder Head

Post All Rudder and Related Topics Here
Kenr74

Removing C26 Rudder Head

Post by Kenr74 »

So I am trying to drop my rudder to deal with the unacceptable amount of slop I have now. I suspect I will be replacing the mushroom bearings. Right now I can't get the rudder head off. It has 3 Phillips head screws holding it on that refuse to come out. Two have been Sheared off, and one remains to face my wrath on another day. I am astounded that these were screws rather than a hex head bolt. Is this a Chrysler thing, or a P.O.? I now will have to drill out these screws, and retap them. I was just curious if anyone else had this kind of difficulty who has removed their rudder. Also if anyone has a picture of a rudder head removed, I would be interested in seeing it. I'm wondering if these screws go into a grove in the rudder stock (seems unlikely) or if they just push against it. Also is there any kind of key in the stock that keeps the head locked in place? Thanks for any help (sympathy is also appreciated :D )
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I did this work on a C22.
Philips heads and hard to work with but I got mine out.

There is no slot or groove on the C22.

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE had a key in the rudder post mated with a slot in the tiller head. There's a nut/bolt that clamps the post to the Tiller head, and even with that removed I had to press (beat) the rudder post down thru the Tiller head. Caution- when it gets loose it's very heavy and will fall hard, don't be under that thing !
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

My C-26 rudder collar is steel with just three bolts for set screws on the stainless steel shaft. No key or holes for the set screws in the shaft.

I just removed some frozen set screw bolts from my trailer poppets. On the one with a broken off bolt I used a combination of a left hand drill bit and a end flute mill in a variable speed drill then I was able to re-tap the hole.

On the ones that I didn't break off I used a torch then PB Blaster on the hot screw and worked them out slowly.

Good luck.
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Second the PB Blaster recommendation...
C-26
Hunter 29.5