Failed mast-stepping

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Skinny T

Failed mast-stepping

Post by Skinny T »

Hey, all!

I’ve been stalking the forums for about a year now while I work on restoring a C22 I ran across last year.

Thought I’d share the FUN we had last weekend! I’ve been working hard the last few weeks, targeting THIS weekend as our maiden voyage, and last weekend it was finally time to practice stepping the mast.

As I’ve read here, we came across a pretty common problem when the cast aluminum shoe at the bottom of the mast snapped!

I knew it would be good to capture either way, so out my kid on video duty: https://youtu.be/SLdfpOMIYuk
Skinny T

Re: Failed mast-stepping

Post by Skinny T »

A new mast hinge is already on its way!
Calayr

Post by Calayr »

Wow! That's my worst nightmare. Glad no one was injured. Thanks for posting. I have not had any issues with the mast shoe, but, I will now look at it more closely.
Chuck
Lydia J

Post by Lydia J »

Well, my C22 mast shoe is somewhere between Nebraska and North Carolina. It shimmied/vibrated its way free during transport in 2020.

I see that hinges are available, but since they are flat, how do they attach to the mast since it’s perpendicular to the hinge/shoe?

Did you search everywhere for a replacement shoe? I searched the East Coast surplus boat part stores and those along the Great Lakes to no avail. Maybe it was a God send that it was lost to a highway.