Any advice on raising the mast for the first time?

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Jeff P

Any advice on raising the mast for the first time?

Post by Jeff P »

boat.png
boat.png (207.89 KiB) Viewed 32204 times
Bought this beauty almost 2 weeks ago. I've been really nervous about getting the mast up for the first time and going over all of the rigging. I was told by the seller that it is ready to sail, and from what I can tell with the mast laying down, everything seems to be there and in decent condition. I've read through the instructions on using the boom as a gin pole several times and think I have a good handle on it. Is there anything I should be worried about or looking out for? How tippy does it get on the way up? It has a mast hinge and bridals. I need this to go smoothly or I'll never convince the wife that this was a good purchase.
Highwinds

Re: Any advice on raising the mast for the first time?

Post by Highwinds »

Nice looking boat and trailer. I'll let you know in 2 weeks when I try to raise mine for the first time on the C26 I bought this spring.

Kyle
Highwinds

Post by Highwinds »

Jeff,

I've found that you should post these in the general discussion forum, you'll get more visibility / replies. If you search on bridles and mast raising you'll find lots of info. on the site. Good luck, you may want to re-post.

Kyle.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Check this out from Captain Scott's Sailing website

Captain Scott Sailing - Stepping the Mast Single handedly

I understand the hesitation. It can be nerve wracking the first time through. The Chrysler mast is very sturdy compared to other sailboats of that era. For instance, find and watch Catalina 22 mast raising on Youtube. No comparison :) That said, all the more reason for careful planning as you don't want it crashing down :D

The bridals are very important. Done correctly, will prevent any side-to-side movement.
Use the boom as a gin pole and make sure all connections are secure.
Make sure the jib halyard is tied off very, very securely. That is what is holding everything up.
Once you start to get the mast going up , stop and double check everything.
Once I get to about the 30 degree mark I tie off the forestay. Use whatever you need for that, bow cleat, etc. Hint- if you do this, you will need to take out the slack as the mast goes up. I usually just do another forestay tie off at the 60 degree mark and leave it.

The idea here is if your system fails, having the forestay tied off will keep the mast from crashing down! Some others may not do this step, but I find it to be very good cheap insurance :)
azbrad

Post by azbrad »

Hello! I too just purchased a C22 and finally got the mast up for the 1st time. I used ratchet straps for my mast support bridal system which I found to be crucial. The bridal straps between mast and gin pole create a triangle. If you have any questions call 6025186518. brad
Reality

Post by Reality »

I attach the shrouds prior to stepping the mast as extra support to the bridles. Also, I do all this in the water securely tied to dock as I don't want to fall on a pavement parking lot if I lose my balance.
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

I did get my mast up. I used ratchet straps instead of the jib sheet to attach the bridals to the mast and boom. The standing rigging seems to be in really good shape. The more I handle the lines I’m starting to realize that the running rigging should be replaced before I put this thing in the water. The halyards are destroyed from being stored on the mast out in the elements and the main sheet leaves a fine colored powder on my hands when I handle it. Any advice on line for new running rigging? Ive got New England
Sta-Set picked out online to be delivered to West Marine. Thought I’d look for other recommendations before pulling the trigger though.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

I've purchased very good double-braided poly from a seller on eBay (rags4jc) at super reasonable prices. You can get new and used hardware from him too and he'll cut the poly length to your specification

Here's one such deal going for $125
s-l500.jpg