C22 halyard rigging

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Reality

C22 halyard rigging

Post by Reality »

The halyards on my C22 are very/too simple. The halyards are just terminated on cleats at the bottom of the mast. This can be tricky when solo sailing in decent winds. I'd like to run the lines though halyard turning lift blocks at the bottom of the mast, out to another block and then back to the winches, clutches, cam cleats.

Wondering if I need a mast plate to attach the turning blocks so pulling force is at bottom of mast or if the turning blocks can be mounted through cabin roof? If anyone has a well working line management scheme to bring halyards to the cockpit I'd like to hear what you did (and what you'd do different if starting over) Any pics greatly appreciated. thanks
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

My answer was a Mast plate with turning blocks under the mast hook or hinge and then cheek blocks on the coach top turning the lines aft. I also added cleats on the coach top to tie the halyard off!

Scott
Reality

Post by Reality »

THANKS Did you go with a purchased plate or make one? I see many sizes/types for sale. If purchased, which one worked?
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Halyard organizer

Post by C22Bob »

This is a generic setup for running halyards aft. This is not my boat, but I have a similar setup using Harken swivel blocks and Spinlock organizer with Spinlock rope clutches. I'll try to post an image of mine soon.

Reality

Post by Reality »

thanks for replies & pics. Would it be best to route both main/jib halyards to same side for simplicity or to separate sides to avoid any tangles? thanks
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Just FYI,

the main and JIb halyards can technically be rigged any way you want.

However the standard/common method is the main halyard to starboard and the jib halyard to port.

I would stick to standards only because it will be easier for you when you change boats and easier for experienced crew on your boat.

Scott
norm6804

Post by norm6804 »

I'll be doing mine this spring as soon as it warms up a bit. I'll give you a complete breakdown of manufacturer and part numbers. I'm keeping my costs down and not going to use any rope clutches but if I had boat loads of cash to spend I'd be adding the rope clutches.

As Capt Scott says the standard is just that but I'll be adding a spinnaker halyard, downhaul and possibly the boomvang and reefing lines all leading aft to the cockpit.

MTF

John
Reality

Post by Reality »

thanks again for information. I look forward to info on mfg & part numbers. I think I'm going with clutches even though $$$.