C22 Topping Lift

Post All Rigging Topics Here
T.Bird

C22 Topping Lift

Post by T.Bird »

I know there are a few of you who have added Topping lifts. Any advice on the best way to rig one up? Something simple that is fixed at the top of the mast and that cleats off at the end of the boom? Or avoid cluttering up the end of the boom and instead add a block at the top of the mast to accommodate a halyard that adjusts at the mast?

Thoughts? Opinions? Pictures? Rude comments?

Thanks!
Tom
C22

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
Reality

Post by Reality »

mine has a cleat at end of boom. Was there when I bought it. Not fancy, but works.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hmm, I have no photos but let me describe mine. Still simple but a very nice addition.

I had a nice stainless cable permanently attached at the top of the mast that came down to roughly 2 feet above the very aft of the boom in normal sailing position and height.

At the bottom end of the topping lift I put in an eye that held a small turning block. It is permanently mounted there.

Next I took a small line and tied it to the end of the boom.

I ran this line up through the turning block on the bottom of the topping lift.

Now, by pulling the bitter end of this line I can raise and lower the hight of the boom!!!! VERY COOL!

Lastly the bitter end of the line comes back to the boom to a turning block or cheek block and into a jam cleat on the boom!

What this does is allow me to lower the boom for a normal symmetrical look while she is at the dock with mainsail cover on. However when in the cockpit this is to low so I can pull the line at the jam cleat and instantly raise the end of the boom for creature comfort and less headbanging.

Lastly the boom is NOT tied to the aft stay so raising the main and lowering the man is much easier with the boom lifted yet not unsafe because of the original aft clip to the aft stay setup!

This image is from "davesBrain.ca"! It is almost identical to what I did!
Scott
Reality

Post by Reality »

mine is like the diagram. But not a cable from mast top (not sure why cable would be needed versus light line as boom isn't heavy and should be slack when mainsail in use.)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Light line is more than adequate for a topping lift and I would not hesitate to use it!

However in my case I was storing Lady Jo with the mast up all summer for several summers. This included the flaked mainsail, sail cover, and various goodies I had added. The stainless topping lift I made was of very light cable that I believe was 1/32 but don't quote me! LOL! This allowed me to confidently use the mainsheet to pull the boom tight while being held at the height I wanted and zero stretch in the topping lift during storage.

Line here, stored in the weather, can deteriorate fairly rapidly. Last thing I wanted or need is to have the boom drop unexpectedly on a guest on my boat.

So to your point, decent line is more than adequate! I'm just a special needs kind of guy!

:D

Scott
AquardMoments1

I use a bungee cord

Post by AquardMoments1 »

I'm a second year sailor so I do things as simply as I can initially. I had to research to figure out that the C22 doesn't come with a boom topping lift.

To keep the boom out of the way - which is only needed when the sail is not raised, I attach a bungee to the clevis pin at the end of the boom, and the other end to the fork in the mainstay.

Be sure to remove it before you turn into the wind to sail.