Amsteel for wire rope halyards?

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Windwalker

Amsteel for wire rope halyards?

Post by Windwalker »

One of my projects this fall for WindWalker to lead the halyards back to the cockpit. Since the jib halyard is too short to my liking, both the main and jib halyard could be extended several feet and both are the same length, I thought I might as well replace the wire halyards and lengthen them while I have the mast down.

Looking for replacement wire halyards I came across the wire to role spliced aftermarket which looked interesting but would require me to crimp the eye into the wire and would not be as long as they could be (I figured 31' since the I measurement for a C26 is 31.5', 6 inches for the masthead sheaves and eye splice and turning blocks at the base, what can I say, I'm a perfectionist). This is one option.

The second option I came across is Samson Ropes Amsteel blue with a average strength of 2500 lbs in 1/8" diameter, AND it comes in colors! :D I can splice the eye into the rope myself and have it any length I want. This rope has GREATER strength :shock: than a 7X19 SS wire rope the same diameter , AND will fit the masthead sheaves.

Has anyone done this replacement? Any feedback, thoughts, heckles?

And yes, I'll mount the Windex when the mast is down.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

amsteel = over kill..... :) have you ever used it for anything else?
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Nope. It may be overkill, 1/8" 7X19 SS breaking load = 1600 lbs, 1/8" Amsteel average strength = 2500 lbs (4000 lbs for 5/32), but I can splice it myself, I can splice it to a 3/8" double braid (http://www.l-36.com/halyard_splice.php) to run through the rope clutch, it will fit in the sheaves, AND it's cheaper then steel.

I am asking for anyone to share their experiences with Dyneema line and try and talk me out of it. Not that I want them to, but it almost seams too good.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I've heard amazing things about Dynex Dux.

http://rigpronewport.wordpress.com/2010 ... duct-ever/
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

This is the stuff I'm considering.

http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

I like amsteel, I have used it in tree work but New England ropes have the same thing out called v-12 and I think it is cheeper.