Boom Vang for the 22

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boom Vang for the 22

Post by Paul »

First / last trip out for the 22 and I became aware that my boom vang does not have a means of stopping the line. A single sheeve with a becket and a double sheeve using 5/16" line. I went through the on line manual just now and - there is no boom vang called out. Apparently this was not a stock item??? Do you folks use one, and what do you use?

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I do not currently have one.
It's on the list of things to get, but in the mean time, I find I can get good sail shape with proper use of the main sheet traveler and main sheet.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

I have a 5-1 fiddle block as a boom vang, I forgot to put the vang on today and the boom jumped hard.,.......... glad I have it to put on quick.

:0
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

West Marine has one supposedly sized for our boats that is a 4:1 and runs around $100. May not be a bad deal in that I tried to build one and the Harken fiddle block with two sheeves ran over $100.

In the mean time it is possible, since I'm merely trying to get this boat to float and then head off in a direction determined by me, that the vang is not currently needed. :wink:

Just wondering how needed it is on our boats

Paul
Tranquil Chaos