Gin Pole

Post All Rigging Topics Here
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gin Pole

Post by Paul »

OK you engineering types, here's the problem:
You have a pole about 26' long weighing 80 pounds. One end is the fulcrum point. The gin pole is located at the fulcrum point and is 8' long. A line will be attached from the top of the pole to the gin pole and from there to a winch to erect the pole.

What is the compression pressure downward on the gin pole?

Obviously you recognize I'm erecting the mast. While making the gin pole I want to make sure it is strong enough in compression.

Thanks
Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:?: use boom for gin pole :?:
C-26
Hunter 29.5
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Compression is not really the problem, it is going to be lateral stiffness. It will want to bend under the load long before compression becomes an issue (the compression is of coarse causing the pole to bend). Set your pole on two saw horses and sit on it, if it holds you should be good to go.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Thanks, I've been using the boom but am adding lazy jacks. This places multiple lines on the boom making a gin pole much easier to manage when getting the mast up.

As for bending moment, there should be little lateral pressure because the line from the gin pole forward equals in tension the line from the gin pole aft. The lateral pressure is minimal since all you are doing is keeping the pole centered and again have equal pressure from each side. So, the compression is really the only significant pressure placed on the pole. At least this is my understanding.

Just for fun I gave the problem to an engineering student at our local college. We'll see what happens.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Take a spaghetti noodle stand it vertical and push down on it, it will bend and break long before it compresses. Same principle.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Thanks! I think we're saying the same thing with different words. It's the downward force that makes it bend like a spaghetti noodle that I'm looking for. Thanks for making it more clear.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

My young engineering friend has an answer. The greatest force downward on the pole is when the pole is vertical and the mast is just being picked up from the horizontal postion. I have the equation, though I doubt anyone cares so I won't reproduce it here.

The answer, however is that 144 pounds of downward pressure is exerted. That should make my 1 1/4" EMT conduit strong enough to handle it. Finished the project tonight. Pictures coming to my photobucket account soon.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Interesting, when I'm using the muscle method of raising the mast on the C-20, that's also the position that accounts for the greatest stress on my back and ticker. After it gets past about the 60 degree point it's actually a piece of cake. I've got a make shift crutch I use to raise the mast up a bit before I start heave-hoing, which helps a immensely.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I used 1" pipe with a cap and a 5/8" hole drilled for the pin. Gives me 10' and I use a 4:1 purchase and my winch I can stop and cleat it off at any point.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay