Ultimate Mast Hinge

Post All Rigging Topics Here
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ultimate Mast Hinge

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Who was it that was showing us their stainless steel mast hinge (either a C-22 or C-26) they made or had fabricated a year or two ago? IIRC, the base was rectangular to match the step. The coolest feature, to me, was the welded on ring that went around the base and allowed a multitude of attachment points for halyards, blocks, etc. I SO want to find the pictures again. In fact, again if my memory isn't too faulty, I seem to recall this talented individual posted a CAD or SketchUp of the pieces.

I did try the search feature, but didn't find anything that sounded promising. Found some other stuff, but not that.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I put a stanless hinge on mine, and the company selling it makes 2 or 3 different plates that you can put under it to attach riggings too.

A google search found:

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... ame=Hinges

I've also seen the riggin plates on eBay.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

As I was organizing the documents I downloaded from the homepage I came across this photo of the hinge plate I am talking about. Perhaps it will job the memory of whoever designed it.

Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

N41EF...did you reuse the screws that held the original mast hook? I assume that you purchased the heavy duty hinge...did you need to drill new holes in hinge bottom plate or in the mast step?
Bill
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Yep, used the original 6 screws. The hull was in great shape where the step was so I cleaned it off, layed the step on the base marked and drilled the six hole, then used marine rtv int he holes and to stick the base down.

To mount the mast shoe to the upper hinge I layed the shoe on the top and figured out that 3 bolts fit best. I used 5/6 stainless and lock washers to mount it. I had to remove the shoe from the mast when I cleaned it out. I thought about using 5 or so smaller bolts, and thought about using screws, but thought the shoe would be brittle and crack if I drilled more holes in it.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting