Installing a mast hinge?

Post All Rigging Topics Here
N41EF

Installing a mast hinge?

Post by N41EF »

Do it, makes mast erection so much easier. Between the mast hinge and the two bridles I made from plans here make it so much easier. I did two up and downs today just because it was so easy.

Word of warning, when you install the mast hinge, slack all of your rigging by about 5/8 inch, maybe a little more. The hinge raises the mast up just a bit and your shrouds and stays will be way too tight. Once you are up then take out the slack, and adjust them next time sailing.

My fwd stay had to be loosened quit a bit, the aft stay not so much, makes me think the mast either used to lean fwd too much, or now leans back a bit.

My three mast erections before I installed the hinge were, scary. My daughter refered to it as a near death experience. Trust me, put a hinge on it!
Last edited by N41EF on Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Bostic7242

Post by Bostic7242 »

Can you post pictures of your hinge, and how to get/make one.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I bought the large version from here:

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... ame=Hinges

Notice they also sell a halyard plate if you want one to go below the hinge.

I used the old mast bottom to mark the SS bottom plate, then used 5200 to seal the mast to the deck, and also used a little in the screw holes to seal the wood screws.

For the top I drilled out the rivets and took out the screws to remove the shoe, then lined it up and drilled and installed 3 5/16 SS bolts and lock nuts.

Using the new hinge and my boom to raise it, the boom was binding on the hinge. I used a 1.5 inch piece of pipe to raise the boom up so it didn't bind.

I'll post pictures this week.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Did you ever take pictures of this?
KenO

Post by KenO »

Anyone hinged the mast on a 26. I just don't fully trust the hook system on Simplicity. If so, what will I find structurally as I get into the retrofit?.
Ken
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

I ended up buying the same hinge, and am curious as to how you attached the shoe to the hinge?

The hinge already has two holes drilled in it and I bought the two bolts and compression nuts that Dwyer sells with the kit, but I think the factory holes in the hinge will be right in the square slot of the factory shoe. I need to drill out the rivets and make sure but was hoping you could provide a couple pictures of what you did.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

If you are looking for photos of the hinge plate installed,
Check out on of my old boats here:

http://captainscottsailing.com/php/1976_Chrysler_22.php
Scroll through the photos and you will see 3 photos of the mast hinge. One original hook, one with hinge and mast down, one hinge with mast up.

To install the hinge to the foot of the mast I simply drilled appropriate holes and used self tapping bolts. Turn in 3/4 turn back out 1/2 turn continuing this until they ware all the way in. Worked like a champ. I have installed two so far.

Enjoy!

Scott
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

You really went to town on those screws ;) I checked it out today and they factory bolt holes were far enough away from the square cutout that I think it will be structurally secure. I did end up purchasing the aluminum compression nuts that they recommended for the hinge so that the vertical weight load would be transferred to the step by the nuts instead of all loading on the two pins/plate, but the nuts are an 1/8" too short so they do not touch the bottom plate. I send pictures to Dwyer Mast for their opinion but since you don't have any support between plates on your hinge I gues it doesn't matter?

After looking at this again I will drill two more holes and form a cross pattern on the mast shoe/hinge plate for more support just to be safe.
MichiganBill

Post by MichiganBill »

This is an older thread - but new to me. Do you still use the boom/bridle assembly for erecting, or does the hinge allow you to eliminate the bridle?
debauchery

Re: Installing a mast hinge?

Post by debauchery »

Yes old post, I know. I recently purchased a 76 C22 it seems to be in decent shape overall. However it was missing the foot/base of the mast. From what i can tell this is an obsolete or otherwise difficult to get part. From searching on here it seems everyone was upgrading to a hinge. Looking at the Dwyer page some of their masts had cast bases available. However, none of them had the same dimensions as my mast. So, i had to make one out of 6061 and buy the hinge to go with it. I probably could have made hinge as well but was easier just to buy one. From looking at the standard designs of these foot bases they seem pretty weak (cast material and attached to 1/8" thick aluminum mast with either pop rivets or small 5mm screws). So apparently most of the stress is taken up by the cables and this is just something to sit on. I drilled New holes in the hinge base to match the original holes in the mast step. I realized after that my holes were straight and the original holes in boat were crooked by a degree or so. Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues. I also increased the size of the screws going into the mast to 6mm stainless threaded into the aluminum and used blue loctite.
Attachments
20191004_190851.jpg
20191004_190851.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 44126 times
CLS72

Re: Installing a mast hinge?

Post by CLS72 »

Hi - I'm planning to install the mast hinge on a c-22 in the spring (boat is stored for winter now) so doing early research - do you happen to have pictures of yours? e.g. how it attached to the mast? (was the foot removed/replaced?)